Topology optimization is the tools to make design more durable and products more lightweight .
You can minimum material thicknesses to ensure the manufacture needs.
Topology Optimization is one parts of CAE simulation (Computer Aided Engineering) , we can define objective easily . Topology optimization can analysis the best shapes and styling jobs with supporting and loading the location on a volume of materials . It can verify the optimized design .
CAE simulation in automotive engineering, below case is lightweight simulation of back door.
Composites lamination analysis
Composites is more versatility and scalability , topology optimization can analysis different angles of each sheet to meet a specific mechanical performance and aesthetics, which gives the design flexibility. It can help the composites as strong as metal , but composites have more benefits:
- Lower cost : Tools cost can lessen 50%-70% compare with steel and AL. stamping.
- More stiffness, lower weight: With the same stiffness , composites products have much lower weight. It has big possibility to more stiffness than metal and Al. Especially , composites can be designed to different loading in same direction or more loading in only one direction. So composites can add the stiffness without adding the weight.
- Design Flexibility： Metal can’t design as complex as composites. Composites can easy to design complex surface , but it is difficult or impossible to come true with metal .
- Moisture resistance and rot resistance: Metal need pay more attention of rust , but not of composites.
Topology Optimization offers engineering design of lighter and stiffer structures. It can offers :
- Lightweight solutions : it can compute a limit amount of materials in a design space.
- Reduce product-cycle: including of design .test, Prototype.
- Reduce product-cost: Easily validate results